We are big Harry Potter fans in this house, so this year both my boys got REALLY excited when I suggested Golden Snitch Valentines for their classmates! And they couldn’t be easier to make. I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut them out, but you can cut the wings with just scissors, too. Keep reading and I will share with you a FREE printable Silhouette Studio file to make your own, complete with registration marks! (Also a PDF for those who want to cut with good ole fashioned scissors)
The first thing to do is gather your supplies. You will need:
- Gold-wrapped candy (I used Ferrero Rocher)
- White cardstock (12″ x 12″ or 8.5″ x 11″, depending on your type of printer)
- Printer (wide format makes printing multiple items so much easier, and they’re not as expensive as you’d think!)
- Silhouette Cameo (I have version 2) or scissors
- Hot glue gun & hot glue sticks
If you’re using the Ferrero Rocher candies, I found a big box of 48 on Amazon for $12.49 – enough for both my boys’ classes. Plus, the box is SO pretty I will find something to store in it once all the candies are gobbled up. Score! You’ll want to carefully peel off the bottom brown wrapper they’re sitting in. I then moved the sticker from the top of the candy to the bottom, or you can throw that away if you’d like. Repeat however many times necessary. If you have any extras, feel free to eat them. I won’t tell. Your kids don’t have to know. Lindt chocolates would also work for this purpose, but they have the little side-twisted wrappers, and I liked the cleaner look of the Ferrero Rocher.
Open my FREE printable file below. I have both 12″ x 12″ and 8.5″ x 11″ formats for you, depending on what size printer you have, in both Silhouette Studio and PDF formats. I use a Canon iX6820 printer and LOVE being able to print on larger size paper!
If using letter size paper, print out however many sheets you need and cut on the lines with scissors until your hand hurts OR use your Silhouette Cameo to do a print & cut. Here’s what you do…
- Open the downloaded file in Silhouette Studio.
- If you’re using 12″ x 12″ paper, you’ll want to navigate to the Print Page Setup settings under File. (Letter size will be default so you can skip this step if using 8.5″ x 11″)
- I created a custom size paper for 12 x 12. In the pop up box, simply click on the drop-down for Paper Size, then Manage Paper Sizes, enter the dimensions and save. You’ll only have to do this once. Now if you go into the Page Setup on your Cameo and click “show print lines” you should see a much wider border around the page.
- Print however many pages you need, but you can only cut one page at a time.
- Line up one printed page on your 12″ x 12″ cutting mat. This is where the registration marks do their magic!
- Click send to open the cut settings. Select the “cardstock, plain” option. For my paper I use blade 3, speed 4, force 20 and passes 2. If you’ve not used the type of card stock you purchased before, you’ll want to do a test cut first (do that on a different piece of paper or it will confuse the registration marks).
- Hit the send button and be mesmerized by the cutting!
Now you have a bunch of little wings. Get your little people to fill in the to and from fields, and get your hot glue gun ready.
You’ll want to fold just a tiny tip of the inside of each wing. Put just a small dab of hot glue on this flap. You don’t need much and you certainly don’t want to melt the chocolate! Align the wings on the top sides of each candy.
Repeat until all your Golden Snitches are done! Now sit back and enjoy the compliments from your littles about how you’re the coolest mom ever.
Links to download the FREE printable: